Saturday, October 10, 2009

I plan on doing a lot of things....

So this one time I went to a pageant. I think it was Miss Teen Placer County or something. I was related to one of the contestants, so it wasn't like I was just there creeping on a teenage beauty pageant like a creeper or anything. Thats not the point though. There was a portion of the pageant where each contestant had to speak about their accomplishments, or the MC was giving a brief description of each one or something, and for a great many of the girls the list of accomplishments included the phrase "she plans on". Like, "she plans on studying latin and being the first woman on the moon." Or, "she plans on being the first female under the age of 18 to swim across lake superior", or something along those lines. I don't recall who won that pageant, but I wonder if it was one of the girls who had actually done something, or one who had just planned on doing something later in life.

If it was a girl with actual accomplishments to her name, then good for her. If those who had merely planned on becoming the first woman to be the adoptive mother of one child from each continent (including Antarctica) did not fare so well, maybe they should try again this year. After all, I understand that awards are starting to be given out for good intentions. Even fairly prestigious awards.



3 comments: